Saturday 7 January 2012

January, Week One

I hope everyone has had a lovely first week of the new year. Everyone always goes into the new year with such hope that it will be good, or better or even just different than the previous year, but honestly most of the time the only difference is that you now have to write 2012 at the end of the date instead of 2011. I always screw that up at least a few times :-)

As you may be able to tell, little has changed for me although I have been attempting to set more structure back into my life as one of these days I will have to go back to work (ugh). So I've been zooming about the house, tidying, finding places for things, clearing things out, either into the garbage or into bags to take to Goodwill. Merging two households is a bit of a bitch, I must say. I'm very lucky in that he just says "Do what you need to do," and lets me have my head when it comes to creating space or reorganising anything. Obviously I don't just fling things in garbage bags without checking first, but in some instances (the kitchen!) it does make it much easier. Even so, I still have to go through the kitchen again to reduce the amount of stuff we have - I swear, I have enough plastic containers to store lunch for a small army, but I can never find the size I need when I need it. What's with that?!

One of the things I did on Monday, the second day of the new year, was finally get my crap organised at the front door. I put up four hooks that I had brought from my apartment for our coats, so they're no longer hanging off the back of chairs all over the place, and another little wooden coat rack that I've had for ages was put up to hold the leashes and dog coats and so on. I also swept and mopped, and put down the new mat I had bought so that we won't slip on our butts coming in the front door, as well as boot trays on either side, one for me and one for him.



I went to see The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo on Tuesday night while himself was off at the Tuesday Night Music Club (TNMC for short). He didn't really have any desire to see it, so I quite happily went alone. I wanted to see it because I've seen the original twice (I bought the trilogy) and I was wondering how the English version would hold up against it. It was pretty faithful, though I can't make a comparison against the book because I haven't read it - I'm not sure I'd make it through the books. I didn't like Rooney Mara as much as Lisbeth Salander, there seemed to be a little too much vulnerability in the character that didn't work as well as Noomi Rapace's portrayal as the hard edged girl. I had heard someone say that the English version was even more shocking than the original, but honestly, other than one scene in a nightclub, everything else was on about the same level. There were style differences, of course, David Fincher being the director that he is, but other than the actual casting changes, it was very close. There was one change at the end that I didn't like, and that leads me back to the vulnerability in Lisbeth's character in this one. I didn't think it was a good way for it to go, but I suppose we'll see how that works out. For future instalments I think I'll just wait til they are released on blu-ray and I'll watch them then. While I was at the movie, though I did manage to get about six inches done on a sock ;-) I had done the toe at home, before going out, and by the end of the movie was at the length where I needed to put in the marker for the afterthought heel - lol. You should have seen the looks I was getting from the girls sitting beside me.

Life on the picket line continues. Two of the companies involved (neither of them the one I work for) went to the Ontario Labour Board to force a vote on their latest contract offers, believing perhaps that our union leaders had not been telling us what was in those latest offers (the only difference from the previous offers was the addition of a $350-$400 one time signing bonus, ooooo) and the first of those votes was held yesterday. I am happy to report that the workers told the company to go stuff themselves, rejecting that offer with 83% of the vote, with a 92% voter turnout. That's a pretty overwhelming "NO!" in my books. I'm so proud of them. Believe me, I sympathise with the folks who are very quickly running out of money (I'm one of them, too) but after this long if we go back now, with the current offers that are on the table, we are doing nothing but condemning ourselves to crappy treatment forevermore.

There isn't much else going on, I have been trying to stay organised with lists of things to do and trying to get in the habit of various daily tasks around the house so that there aren't any real omg moments when someone drops by. Bathrooms are wiped down daily, kitty litter cleaned daily, kitchen cleaned, dishes put away, laundry (semi)organised, etc. Also when I bring stuff from the apartment I try to find it a home as soon as I can, that way I can take the boxes the stuff came in back to be refilled the next time I head up that way.

That's about all there is in my boring life. I have been knitting, of course, I just haven't finished anything yet and so have no pretty pics for you to see.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment