Sunday 20 March 2011

New Projects and Yarn

It's so nice to have those socks done :) So yesterday I cast on, using Jeny's Super Stretchy Cast On, the Rivendell Smoke Ring pattern from Susan Pandorf's Fellowship of the Ring collection of designs :) I managed to get the first chart done last night while watching the season one finale of Joss Whedon's Dollhouse, Epitaph One, and the pilot episode of a show I had never watched while it was on, Earth 2. Maybe you can see what I'm going to talk about today... ;)

First off, though, here are some pics of what I'm working on and of the furry occupants of the household :)


Yes, I'm using little twists of yarn as stitch markers, as mine have not shown up yet from my etsy order from winemakerssister. I must say, I'm rather disappointed with that, because the status of my order as of three weeks ago was showing as "shipped"... so where are they? I got my order from Twisted Fiber Art last Tuesday (and omg, are the yarns ever gorgeous! will have pics below) and I'd received an email from them about my order having shipped at the same time as the etsy order status was showing as shipped so, in theory, I should have received them at approximately the same time.


This is my baby girl, Honey :) She's a cocker spaniel/miniature poodle cross, heavy on the poodle, and she's the love of my life.



This is Boo, my boyfriend's Golden Retriever :) She's eight years old, but acts more like she's eight months a lot of the time. She's such a sweetheart.



This is one of his two cats, Flea, named so because she was picked up at a local flea market and also because she wasn't much bigger than a flea when he got her. She still had to be milk-fed, she was so young.

And now for more yarn... hehehe...



The socks I'm working on for Rod out of the Red Heart Heart and Sole yarn in the Toasted Almond colourway. My gauge is about half a stitch off, so the fair isle patterning isn't quite lining up, but I still really like the way it's coming out anyway and more importantly, so does he. I like it so much, in fact, that I went and placed an order for more from the Red Heart website, and it arrived in only a week. From Michigan. So my theory about packages from the U.S. taking 2-3 weeks is now shot. Whatever. Two of the colourways I ordered were out of stock, so I'll still be getting another package from them later - yay! Presents in the mail are so much fun :D



These three are the Berry Bliss, Faded Jeans and Christmas colourways. I thought I'd use the Berry one to make socks for my sister for Christmas, the blue is for myself and the Christmas colourway doesn't look as gaudy as it might sound in the photo on the website so I thought I'd use that for another pair of socks for Rod :)

As I said above, here are a couple of pics of the Evolutions yarn from Twisted Fiber Art :)




She also sent a small sample of another colourway on a different base, just to show what's it's like. Her yarns are soooo soft and squishy, I just can't wait to work with it.

Now I have to comment on Jeny's cast on - it makes no sense as to why it works. None. I know it's a slipknot, and it... well... slips... but still, it makes no sense that it should be so stretchy. The bind off makes sense though, the yarn overs add in the extra room for it to stretch which makes it perfect for the toe-up socks I make. It will also be perfect for the cowl as well, and anything where you don't want the edge to bind at all. I had to cast on for the cowl twice because I messed something up early on, and it still made no sense. Some day I'll figure it out :P I will say, and this is mentioned in the comments on the YouTube page for the video, that this is best done with a very smooth yarn, most sock yarns are ideal, and not one that is particularly textured because it will tangle up a bit and the knots won't form smoothly, but it is a very easy method to use and I'm really glad I made the effort to learn it :)

I've been marathoning Joss Whedon's Dollhouse last weekend and this weekend - I got through the first ten episodes on Netflix last weekend and watched the last three of season one yesterday. Finally Netflix has some good shows on it - ones that I like, anyway - so I'm a little more favourably inclined to the service than I used to be. For quite a while it was all crap shows, movies I'd never heard of, or would just never watch even if tied to a chair with toothpicks propping my eyelids open.

This show is fun and entertaining and more than a little subversive in its attitudes and ideas that it's trying to portray. I love Joss Whedon's writing and direction, and have since Buffy the Vampire Slayer came to television. I laughed so hard watching the first episode that I fell off my chair twice. Dollhouse, however, while it has its share of one-liners and funny moments, also shows a very serious side regarding the relationship between the audience, studio and actors. Joss Whedon once again pulls in familiar actors and writers as well, which sets things up to be remarkable. Knowing the quality of the work that they have brought to various shows in the past made me eager to see what they would do with this premise when it was first aired and I have to say that upon watching it again a second time I am not disappointed in any way.

Anyway, this is long enough for today :)

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment